Return to Index
(Bacterial Sore Throat)
|Sore Throat Due to Inflammation|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Exposure to family member or friend who has strep throat
- Crowded living situations
- Red, sore throat with white patches
- Swollen, sore glands in the neck
- Red spots on the roof of the mouth
- Painful, difficult swallowing
- Nausea and possibly vomiting
- Decreased appetite
- Muscle aches, especially in the neck, and abdominal pains, especially in younger children
- Swelling in back of mouth
- Throat culture—A sample of throat fluid is taken to a lab to see if strep bacteria grows. It takes a few days to gets results.
- Rapid antigen strep screen—Antigens are a part of the body's immune response to specific infection. This test can identify antigens within a few minutes of the test. However, a negative test does not mean you do not have strep throat, the body may not have had enough time to make antigens yet.
- Rapid DNA test—DNA technology is used to detect strep throat. This test is as accurate as throat culture. The results are usually available in one day.
Over-the-Counter Pain Medications
- Wash your hands carefully.
- Don't share beverages or food.
- Replace your toothbrush after starting antibiotic treatment to prevent re-infecting yourself
American Academy of Otolaryngology—Head and Neck Surgery http://www.entnet.org
About Kids Health http://www.aboutkidshealth.ca
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca
American Academy of Otolaryngology–Head and Neck Surgery website. Available at: http://www.entnet.org . Accessed October 12, 2005.
Cecil RL, Goldman L, Bennett JC. Cecil Textbook of Medicine . 21st ed. Philadelphia, PA: WB Saunders Company; 2000.
Ebell MH, Smith MA, Barry HC, Ives K, Carey M. Does the patient have strep throat? JAMA . 2000; 284:2912-2918.
Montagnani F, Stolzuoli L, Croci L, et al.Erythromycin resistance in Streptococcus pyogenes and macrolide consumption in a central Italian region. Infection . 2009 Aug;37(4):353-357.
Neuner JM, Hamel MB, Phillips RS, Bona K, Aronson MD. Diagnosis and management of adults with pharyngitis. A cost effectiveness study. Ann Intern Med . 2003;139:113-122.
Ressel G. Practice guidelines: principles of appropriate antibiotic use: part IV: acute pharyngitis. Am Fam Physician . 2001;64(5).
Strep throat. JAMA . 2000 Dec 13.
Strep throat. Mayo Clinic website. Available at: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/strep-throat/DS00260 . Accessed November 10, 2007.
Streptococcal pharyngitis. DynaMed website. Available at: https://dynamed.ebscohost.com/about/about-us . Accessed November 10, 2007.
- Reviewer: David Horn, MD
- Review Date: 09/2013
- Update Date: 09/30/2013