Return to Index
(Inflammation of Optic Nerve)
|The Optic Nerve|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Multiple sclerosis (MS)—most common cause
- Neuromyelitis optica (NMO, Devic’s disease)
- Autoimmune disorders, such as Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE)
- Exposure to toxic substances—this may be associated with optic neuropathy (injury to the optic nerve)
- Some medications
- Personal or family history of multiple sclerosis or other autoimmune disorders
- Previous history of optic neuritis
- Previous history of transverse myelitis (inflammation of the spinal cord)
- Relatively sudden decrease in vision, such as blurring, darkening, or dimming of vision
- Loss of vision in the center of, part of, or all of the visual field
- Abnormal color vision, such as dull and faded colors
- Pain in or around the eye, which is often made worse with eye movement
- Tests of color vision, side vision, visual acuity, and the reaction of the pupil to light
- Dilated eye examination
- Visual evoked potential test (VEP)
- Blood tests
- Lumbar puncture to check the fluid around the brain and spinal cord
- Steroid medication to reduce swelling of the optic nerve
- Medication to treat the cause of optic neuritis
American Academy of Opthalmology http://www.aao.org
North American Neuro-Ophthalmology Society http://www.nanosweb.org
Canadian Association of Optometrists http://www.opto.ca
Canadian Ophthalmological Society http://www.eyesite.ca
Agostoni E, Frigerio R, et al. Controversies in optic neuritis pain diagnosis. Neurol Sci. 2005;26(Suppl 2):s75-s78.
Bianchi Marzoli S, Martinelli V. Optic neuritis: differential diagnosis. Neurol Sci. 2001;22(Suppl 2):S52-S54.
Boomer JA, Siatkowski RM. Optic neuritis in adults and children. Semin Ophthalmol. 2003;18:174-180.
Chan JW. Optic neuritis in multiple sclerosis. Ocul Immunol Inflamm. 2002;10:161-186.
Hickman SJ, Dalton CM, et al. Management of acute optic neuritis. Lancet. 2002;360:1953-1962.
Lis SY, Birnbaum AD, et al. Optic neuritis associated with adalimumab in the treatment of uveitis. Ocul Immunol Inflamm. 2010;18(6):475-481.
Optic neuritis. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed.ebscohost.com/about/about-us . Updated February 5, 2013. Accessed September 5, 2013.
Romero RS, Gutierrez Y, et al. Homonymous hemimacular thinning: a unique presentation of optic tract thinning in neuromyelitis optica. J Neuroophthalmal. 2012;32(2):150-153.
Volpe NJ. The optic neuritis treatment trial: a definitive answer and profound impact with unexpected results. Arch Ophthalmol. 2008;126(7):996-999.
- Reviewer: Rimas Lukas, MD
- Review Date: 09/2013
- Update Date: 09/30/2013