Return to Index
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Major impacts to the body, such as motorcycle or car accidents
- History of falls
- Decreased muscle strength
- Pelvic pain
- Pain upon walking, or inability to walk
- History of trauma in young children
- Blood tests
- Urine tests
- Prevent falls by using a stool or stepladder to reach high places. Add handrails along stairways and place nonslip mats in your bathroom, shower, and under carpets.
- Lower your chance of injuries due to car and motorcycle accidents by always wearing your seatbelt. Never drive if you have been drinking, and don’t ride with anyone else who has either.
- Always use safety precautions to avoid falls during high-risk sports, such as rock climbing and mountaineering.
- Maintain your muscle strength, which will help to prevent falls.
American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons http://orthoinfo.aaos.org
The American Pediatric Surgical Association, Resources for Parents http://www.pediatricsurgerymd.org
Canadian Orthopaedic Association http://www.coa-aco.org
Women's Health Matters http://www.womenshealthmatters.ca
Collinge C, Tornetta P III. Soft tissue injuries associated with pelvic fractures. Orthop Clin North Am. 2004;35(4):451-456.
Femoral shaft fracture. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed . Updated March 12, 2013. Accessed August 22, 2013.
Frakes MA, Evans T. Major pelvic fractures. Crit Care Nurse. 2004 Apr;24(2):18-30.
Grotz MR, Allami MK, Harwood P, et al. Open pelvic fractures: epidemiology, current concepts of management and outcome. Injury. 2005;36(1):1-13.
Mohanty K, Musso D, Powell JN, Kortbeek JB, Kirkpatrick AW. Emergent management of pelvic ring injuries: an update. Can J Surg. 2005;48(1):49-56.
Quick TJ, Eastwood DM. Pediatric fractures and dislocations of the hip and pelvis. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2005;(432):87-96.
Tornetta P III, Templeman DC. Expected outcomes after pelvic ring injury. Instr Course Lect. 2005;54:401-407.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 09/2013
- Update Date: 09/30/2013